Reports to: Estate Manager - Team Leader
Location: 14 Poplars Court, Nottingham, NG7 2RR
Hours: 09:00-18:00 Monday to Friday with some additional hours as needed
The Property Manager is a pivotal position within our company. It is the pathway to becoming an Estate Manager. You will be responsible for co-ordinating all of the resources (internal & external) to effectively manage a portfolio of residential estates and deliver outstanding service to our customers. The role has 3 key parts: controlling the financial aspects of an estate (preparing budgets, monitoring expenditure), implementing the planned & reactive maintenance programme and communicating with key stakeholders (chairing meetings and writing letters/reports).
Critical Success Requirements
These are the key competencies a successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Financial & management competency – The ability to understand, analyse and interpret financial information (eg. budgets) to ensure we are managing our clients’ service charge effectively and prudently against an estate’s current requirements (including legislative obligations) and future needs. Drafting budgets, monitoring expenditure and reporting to Directors are key parts of a Property Manager’s role.
- Successful implementation: thorough & accountable – A desire and willingness to systematically and diligently do what needs to be done to ensure key milestones are achieved on time & on budget. To manage valuable assets effectively, everything must be in order and our obligations must be fulfilled. It is not just about ticking a list, you need to actively understand and control what needs to be done. Being accountable is about taking personal responsibility to deliver on your promises, reacting quickly when the situation demands and resolving issues to completion.
- Customer service mentality & strong communication skills – We exist because of our customers. A Property Manager is the custodian of our customer relationships. Our challenge is to earn our customers’ trust and confidence through our actions. A key part of this is the timely and accurate provision of information. Our correspondence needs to be first rate and you need to be able to chair large meetings, and if the occasion arises, resolve a dispute diplomatically.
- Business maturity – The ability to think and act professionally. You must be able to gather information, interpret it and solve complex problems or make logical decisions which have the Encore Estate Management Ltd greatest positive impact. Once a decision has been made, you will have the ability to develop the plan to enact it and implement accordingly.
Skills & Experience Required
The successful candidate will present with the following:
- Degree preferable. A good standard of education is essential.
- IRPM Part 1 will be required as part of the progression to become an Estate Manager.
- Other property qualifications (eg. RICS) are desirable.
- 3 years+ relevant business/management experience. While a background in estate management is desirable, your experience could be in a related property or customer management field
- Some experience of budget management, financial control and delivering cost-efficiency
- Some working knowledge of building management, systems maintenance and repair projects
- Excellent time management, prioritisation, delegation and project management skills
- Excellent numeracy/analytical skills and competency in dealing with financial information
- Excellent communication skills – letter writing and the written and verbal presentation of information
- Excellent computer skills – knowledge of Qube would be an advantage. Proficient in all Microsoft programmes and competent in mail merging.
- Excellent people skills – an ability to adapt your style as required
- Excellent commercial skills – demonstrate a savviness and awareness of commercial reality
- Accountable: take personal responsibility for seeing things through to successful resolution
- Thorough: attention to detail, the ability to think things through – not just follow a checklist
- Commitment: take pride in your work and care about your/the team’s performance
- Mature: common-sense approach. Remain calm & measured while juggling multiple projects
- Positive: an optimistic, can-do attitude that improves team morale
In all areas, ensure that company policies and procedures are consistently applied to required standards.
Outcome 1: The key milestones & KPIs are achieved
- Milestone Management: You will ensure the cyclical tasks and reactive works are accomplished on-time (within the specified timescales), liaising with all internal departments as required.
- KPI achievement: Monitor and achieve Key Performance Indicator targets (eg. on topics such as Arrears, Quality Audits etc).
- Action Plan: Maintain an up-to-date Plan of Action, ensuring all items actioned and tracked to resolution.
- Reporting: Report to the General Manager and Encore Directors on a regular basis, covering all matters relating to each estate.
Outcome 2: The Financial aspects of our estates are effectively managed
- Budgets: Prepare, review and implement annual budgets for each estate (in accordance with our procedures), ensuring the budget is approved and demands are issued on time.
- Expenditure Control: Generate purchase orders and authorise payment of all invoices for works associated with the service charge for each estate.
- Monitoring: Undertake regular income & expenditure reviews (monthly/quarterly) of expenditure versus budget to ensure the financial health of each estate. Identify any financial issues (eg. arrears, cash-flow) and implement corrective measures where required.
- Reporting: Prepare regular reporting (monthly/quarterly) on the key management and financial aspects of your estates to Directors/Freeholders.
- Annual Accounts: Ensure the annual accounts (prepared by the Accounts team) are accurate and completed on time. Prepare necessary commentary where appropriate.
Outcome 3: The Maintenance aspects of our estates are effectively managed
- Planned Maintenance Schedule: Ensure a comprehensive Planned Maintenance Schedule is in place for each estate and reviewed annually. Ensure all planned jobs are completed on time and contracts are tendered appropriately.
- Site Inspections: Conduct regular planned site visits (per agreed schedule) to ensure standards are upheld. File Inspection Reports appropriately and ensure any actions are successfully addressed.
- Reactive Works: Handle reported maintenance issues in a timely and effective manner (following internal procedures), communicating with affected parties appropriately.
- Contractors: Manage the approval and appointment of all Contractors.
- Lease: Be fully conversant with the head lease – the rules, regulations and obligations – and manage accordingly.
- Insurance: Ensure the insurance cover is up-to-date and appropriate for each property/estate.
- Insurance Claims: Ensure all insurance claims are handled promptly and reconciled appropriately.
- Work Assessment: Approve and assess all planned and regular maintenance work.
- Site Information & Asset Register: Ensure our database is kept fully up-to-date at all times.
- Compile/maintain an asset register for all estates.
- Health & Safety: Ensure that health & safety legislation, policies and recommendations are adhered to at all times. Ensure appropriate Health & Safety reports are maintained and actioned appropriately for each estate.
- Major Works: Ensure each estate has an effective major works programme (and necessary Reserve
- Fund) to comply with the lease and maintain the condition of the estate. Review annually and successfully manage the major works programme (in conjunction with Building Surveyor).
Outcome 4: Provide excellent customer service and achieve customer satisfaction
- Excellent Communication Output: Produce quality correspondence to Directors and Residents that is professional, mistake-free and easy to understand (in plain English). This involves letters, budget information, meeting minutes, newsletters and general correspondence.
- Excellent Communication Practices: Respond to correspondence/customer contact in a timely manner (in accordance with company standards), in an appropriate way (not always email) and with a professional and helpful manner. Ensure cyclical correspondence is issued on time and regular, per the agreed schedule.
- Client Relationships: Maintain excellent client relationships, especially with Directors.
- Client Meetings: Organise, prepare and successfully lead Directors meetings, Resident meetings or AGMs.
- Issue Resolution: Resolve any problems/complaints from residents, tenants and lessees effectively and diplomatically.
- Data Management: Manage hard and soft copy data and e-mails, ensuring all client files are up to date and stored appropriately.
These are the key responsibilities of the role. There will be other general duties associated with the position. To be eligible, a candidate must be legally able to work in the UK and have a full, ‘clean’ driving licence.
Applications to: Please send your CV in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org