Reports to: Facilities General Manager
(2 Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 1JP)
Location: Various sites (office: 2 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1JP)
The overall purpose of this role is to monitor the on-going quality of work of the caretaking staff (cleaners/gardeners and Concierge staff) within the Facilities Management team, with the goal of ensuring our estates achieve an ‘excellent’ rating. You will be responsible for motivating staff on a regular basis and to provide support and training as and when required.
This is an important action-orientated role, providing support to the Facilities General Manager and a vital link between staff working on our estates and the office. You must be well organised at all times, in order to operate to the highest standards and inspire our people to achieve them. If we fall short, you should take ownership to ensure issues are fully resolved. The ‘buck’ stops with you. Think like a resident, anticipate their issues and address them. We shouldn’t receive any complaints.
You will be responsible for static and mobile staff, so whilst based from our Cambridge Head Office, you will be required to travel to various locations across the region, so need to be flexible and happy to travel on a daily basis.
Responsibilities / Tasks
Duties include but are not limited to:
The Estate Looks Great
- Quality: take pride and ensure that every estate achieves a "good" or "excellent" rating from the Quality Site Audit (our tried and tested tool for monitoriing standards). Address any deficiencies identified and take ownership of the actions to resolve them. Ensure every estate "looks like we live there" and like we really care. Our end clients (the property owners) are paying for our services and expect the best. Items such as the condition of the bin stores can enhance or destroy Encore's reputation. Quality should be paramount in the delivery of our services.
- Quick response: as you will be on site regularly, it is your responsibility to fix issues of deficiency in service with staff on the spot. You should also ensure staff report issues on our estate correctly, following the procedures we have in place. Once you/your team have reported an issue, your role is to ensure it gets resolved. Only reporting it is not enough - own it through to completion.
Everything is Correct
- Scope of Services: ensure the Scope of Services (our specification for each site) is being followed and used as a working document. It must be tailored to each site and include specific duties which may change throughout the year. It must be completed by each team and logged correctly every month.
- Health & Safety: ensure staff are working safely and in accordance with the training and guidelines provided. Perform spot checks to ensure correct personal protective equipment is being used when required. Ensure staff are testing systems in accordance with legislation, testing is logged and that any faults are reported immediately.
Team Management & Logistical Support
- Staff performance: nurture a high-performing team who are inspired to perform their roles brilliantly and with a sense of pride and purpose. Ensure they know what is expected, and have the right tools and training to effectively perform their duties at all times. Address any under-performance issues quickly and effectively and in-line with Encore staff guidelines. Don’t accept second best from your staff.
- Staff Training: assist with on-going training for staff to address their personal development areas and to ensure staff are working correctly to deliver standards.
- Holiday and sickness cover: work with your colleagues to ensure cover is provided to our teams/estates when short-staffed due to holidays or sickness, this will range from front-of-house/Porter duties to cleaning and basic maintenance duties.
- Servicing and repairs to equipment: the machinery and tools our staff use are paramount in them performing their duties. You are responsible for ensuring these are maintained and serviced in accordance with guidelines. Any breakdown in equipment should be handled promptly and a replacement provided in order to minimise downtime.
- Vehicles: our vans are a key part of the image of our company. It is your responsibility to ensure staff are taking care of their vehicles, that they are kept clean and tidy and that the equipment within them is stowed safely and tidily.
Key Criteria, Qualifications and Experience required
- Minimum of 5 years managing a team of 10+ staff across multiple locations.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience as a grounds maintenance operative, skilled gardener or landscaper.
- Gardening/horticultural qualification - RHS Level 2 or equivalent (preferred).
- Good standard of education - GCSE Grade A-C minimum.
- Full ‘clean’ driving licence.
- Be computer literate and competent in the use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Excellent time management and prioritisation of tasks: know which items should be tackled first (biggest impact/risk) while ensuring everything gets done. Don’t drop the ball – the responsibility for your team and their performance is down to you.
- Excellent communication skills: both verbal and written, with the ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Excellent people skills: to adapt your approach to work with all members of the team, residents and contractors.
- Accountability: take responsibility for the sites you oversee, manage tasks and duties and see things through to completion. Don’t sit back and assume others will solve it.
- Thorough: attention to detail and the passion to ensure every job is completed correctly.
- Commitment: take pride in what you do and to make a difference to the work of your team and that of the Company.
- Positive: adopt a can-do, attitude and a willingness to deliver to the highest level in every part of your job, every day.